The Big B Experience

Posted by Shaira Thursday, March 4, 2010

Right before moving to the Bay Area I got a call from Ashley Lobo asking me to come and assist him with this new film. My immediate reaction was NO as I had so much to do. All the paperwork, Visa, packing I wasn't leaving for a Holiday I was leaving to take one of the biggest decisions of my life of getting married :) Then he said these two words, "Amitabh Bachchan"....All of a sudden I stopped doing what I was doing and asked the question. "Will I be choreographing the Big B?" The answer, "YES" and within hours I was packing my bags not for the US but to Mumbai!!

Hours later I reach Mumbai and go straight to rehearsal. I was handed over the CD and told to listen to it. I hear the song it says "Life is a game" and I think to myself how appropriate! Soon the Director Leena Yadav walks in with the director of photography, Aseem Bajaj. I had worked with Aseem before on U, me aur Hum so I was happy to see a familiar face. Leena started to explain the screenplay of the song and I was super excited as it was so different and unique. Ashley and I left to go work on the song and choreography.
The next day we met the 4 new comers in the film. Dhruv, Vaibhav, Siddharth and Shraddha. We started working on the song with them. We had dancers from Russia for this song. A chair routine, puppet sequence and hours of rehearsal and we were half way through the song.



What followed were dance and theatre workshops to get them to really understand and connect with their characters in the film. Roysten Able was doing the theatre workshops while Ashley and I worked on the dance. Roy was the lighting director for the first ever musical/dance theatre production I did in New Delhi called "That's Dancing". So working with familiar people always adds the element of fun to the set.
Finally we get to the set. It looks grand and very unlike a regular Bollywood film set. This is where the excitement begins....For now this is all I have time for I'll be back soon to update you on the rest of the experience. Until then here's a glimpse of the song.

0 comments

Post a Comment